Good for you. Good for our forests.®
In-person SFE courses led by MI SFI staff
- - Register for a course
Online SFE courses offered through Michigan State University Extension
Follow the links below:
Contact the MI SFI with questions - 517-853-8880
2016 Statewide BMP Monitoring Study (Region 2 & 3 - Eastern U.P., Lower Peninsula and Statewide Summary Results)
- - 2015 Statewide BMP Monitoring Study (Region 1 - Western U.P.)
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) has been working to make a
positive difference in Michigan's forests since 1995. The
SFI program in Michigan works to support responsible forest practices,
wood procurement and harvesting throughout Michigan.
Collectively, SFI Inc. and SFI Program Participants:
- Train thousands of loggers and foresters
- Provide forestry information and support to family forest owners
- Apply SFI principles on more than five million of acres of SFI Program Participant lands in Michigan
- Use responsible wood procurement practices that conform to the SFI standards
- Provide assurance to customers and consumers that the forest and paper products they purchase, are from sustainably managed forests
Logger + Trainee Database
The SFI training program was developed to satisfy the wood-procurement and harvesting requirements of the many SFI-certified wood purchasing companies in Michigan. SFE training consists of two components core training (CT) and continuing education training (CE). This database can be checked by foresters and procurement staff who work for SFI-certified companies.
Facts About Forestry
How much economic activity do forest products produce?
Each year, the Michigan forest products industry harvests avout 12 million tons of wood. Each ton of wood generates about $100 worth of economic activity. That's a grand total of $1.2 billion worth of economic activity!